Airlink is a disaster response nonprofit that ensures air transport costs are not a barrier to nonprofit organizations responding to disasters. We support a community of over 130 nonprofit organizations responding to man-made and natural disasters worldwide.
Airlink is looking for a talented freelance designer with ideas and enthusiasm who can work with Airlink’s Communications team to make interesting and visually impactful content for a range of outputs, including social media, the website, videos, display booths, flyers, brochures (including annual report), informational pamphlets (print and digital), infographics, and presentation decks.
Airlink is a small organization that makes a big impact. Focusing on solving logistical problems in the immediate aftermath of a disaster means we often have to move quickly and rebalance priorities to mobilize resources and get our message out. This often means short notice on needs and quick turnaround times. Beyond that, the Communications team seeks to deliver consistent, impactful storytelling that drives our mission, creating an engaged, enthusiastic community of supporters that covers airlines and aviation-focused businesses (senior leadership and employees), nonprofits, foundations, and grant-making bodies as well as the public.
- Collaborates with Director of Communications and other Communications team members to understand project assignment, audience, and intended message
- Combines photography, imagery, charts, text, and multimedia elements to create high-impact materials that distinguish Airlink and help tell our story to donors and supporters in a crowded nonprofit space.
- Creates original visual media that communicates the desired feeling or message in an engaging and unified way.
- Ensure a creative yet consistent look and feel that adheres to, and supports, the Airlink brand, visual identity, and messaging
- Chooses graphics, clip art, and stock photography; may enhance choices as appropriate
- Produces drafts of design work and provides samples to Communications or other staff for review.
- Manages timelines and uses judgment to manage projects, balance priorities, and communicate to teams to meet and exceed project deadlines and commitments; keep internal clients informed of projects and progress
- Develops long-term design strategies, stays ahead of the curve on design technologies and how they can be applied to the needs of the Programs, Development, and Communications teams
- Revises projects as necessary based on a collaborative feedback process.
- Maintains records of billable project time as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Degree in Graphic Arts or demonstrable experience that suits the requirements of the role.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Cloud Suite (i.e. Illustrator, Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere Pro, InDesign)
- Proficient in MS Word, PowerPoint, and Google Suite applications
- Skilled creative with particular strength in page layout, document design, and graphic/infographic design
- Generally, a problem solver and creative thinker
- Keen ability to convert business text into compelling visuals that amplify a message
- Experience developing and delivering files optimized for print and digital deliverables
- Support formatting and layout design of long-form documents
- Experience working with technical diagrams, flow diagrams, and maps is strongly preferred
- Proficient in Canva, which is used across the organization
- Proficient with social media platforms as applied to sales and marketing
- Understanding of data and its impact on design outputs
- Solid written communication and ability to proof work for quality and accuracy
- Enthusiasm for the humanitarian sector and experience in the NGO space are desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to clearly express and present ideas, listen well and collaborate
- Excellent organizational skills with great attention to detail
- Time management skills and the ability to prioritize to meet deadlines
- Ability to track and follow through on several projects at one time
5-8 years of related work experience in business development, marketing, or internal communications
Neg. Based on experience and skill set.
Although Airlink is based in Washington DC, candidates from throughout the United States will be considered.
Please email your resume and cover letter and samples of work (you may be asked for more later) to Beth De Bella, Administrative Operations Manager, email@example.com. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled; however, preference will be given to applications received by the close of business on 16th September 2022.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries, please.
Airlink is an equal-opportunity employer. The organization provides equal employment opportunities to qualified persons without regard to race, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic information or make-up, or any other protected category enumerated by applicable local ordinance, state law, or federal law.