Airlink is a humanitarian organization that connects airlines with vetted nonprofits to deliver disaster responders and supplies in support of communities in crisis worldwide. The Capabilities Development Manager plays a key role in the operational delivery of this mission by driving continuous improvement of Airlink’s operating model, contributing to sector-wide initiatives that build logistics capacity and improve overall support to the humanitarian community, building and managing key relationships between emergencies, and mobilizing resources to enable Airlink’s mission.
Washington D.C. based applicants preferred.
Due to the nature of Airlink’s mission in support of disaster response, there will occasionally be an expectation to work extended hours or on weekends and holidays, with limited advance notice.
Key responsibilities include:
Resource Mobilization (40%)
- Support development of foundation grant proposals, in conjunction with the Director of Humanitarian Programs and Airlink’s development team
- Proactively identify opportunities to fund projects aligned with Airlink’s strategic and operational direction, including private foundations and institutional funders.
- Lead the delivery of funded projects, including supervision of consultants where required.
Continuous Improvement (40%)
- Drive sector-wide preparedness to respond to emergencies through support of activities related to Airlink’s Regional Response Framework, including continuous scanning of high-risk countries, identifying key regional partners, analysis of operational and logistical constraints within the region, and conducting contingency planning accordingly.
- Identify opportunities to optimize Airlink’s operating model, including through the utilization of Salesforce and other technology tools, and develop and execute plans to make improvements alongside the Humanitarian Programs Director.
- Manage development of a robust monitoring and evaluation framework in order to demonstrate the value of the Airlink program inform operational decision-making within the organization and across the partner network.
- Support the execution of surveys and other research that improve the response activities of Airlink and its partners, including after-action reviews and best practices in logistics and preparedness, and contribute to communications around these activities that position Airlink as an expert in disaster relief logistics and related preparedness activities.
- Support activities to convene key partner groups (airlines, NGOs, and philanthropic entities), including conducting webinars, seminars, and workshops alongside the Humanitarian Programs Manager and Humanitarian Programs Director.
- Manage the execution of other special projects that help Airlink grow its impact, as needed.
- Provide additional operational and logistics capacity in high-activity response periods, including contributing to management of Airlink’s global portfolio of nonprofit organizations, i.e. booking passenger flights, administering cargo bookings, and other information management activities.
- Contribute to the wider Airlink operation, including communications activities related to programmatic initiatives.
- Represent Airlink at humanitarian, logistics, and aviation conferences.
Experience & Background
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline.
- At least four years of experience in the humanitarian logistics sector.
- Knowledge and understanding of logistics in the context of emergency response, and strong interest in this field, with an aspiration to learn and grow within this area.
- Experience of facilitating workshops and/or delivering training/other learning events.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills that can be adapted for a range of audiences.
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills, with the ability to process large volumes of information dynamically in a changing operational environment.
- Strong interest in information management and emergency coordination preferred.
- Project management certification and/or relevant experience preferred.
- Experience of working with Salesforce, or a similar customer relationship management database strongly preferred.
- Willing to travel within the U.S. and internationally for up to 15% of time across the year, dependent upon operational requirements.
- Authorization to work in the United States is required.
- 75% company-paid health benefits, including dental and vision, for employees
- Competitive 401(k) matching policy
- 2 weeks paid vacation, flexible sick leave, and paid parental leave
- Flexible work-from-home policy for established employees
- Cell phone with unlimited international service
Please email your resume and cover letter to Stephanie Steege, Director of Humanitarian Programs, firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled, however preference will be given to applications received by close of business on Friday, July 10th, 2020.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries, please.
Airlink is an equal opportunity employer. The organization provides equal employment opportunities to qualified persons without regard to race, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic information or make-up, or any other protected category enumerated by applicable local ordinance, state law, or federal law.
|Job Category||Program Management|